Skip to content
SUNY GCC - Genesee Community College

Each academic year the Federal government selects certain students to go through the verification process.  Verification is a process wherein your tax information is compared to the information you put on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The Federal government and Genesee Community College will notify you, in writing, if you are selected and which documents to provide.  If selected, the student will be required to submit all requested documents to the Financial Aid Office.

The College will not be able to disburse any Federal aid to students who fail to submit the required documentation.

IRS Tax Return Transcript Information

Tax filers can obtain a copy of their tax transcript, free of charge, of their tax return from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  Students and families can print the Tax Return Transcript directly from the IRS website, or they can request a copy online or over the phone.


Printable PDF

  1. Log on to
  2. Under “Tools” select “Get Transcript for My Tax Records
  3. Click on “Get Transcript Online
  4. Returning users will sign in. First time users need to create an account by providing the following information:
    • Name
    • Email address
    • Mailing address
    • Social security number
  5. Answer security questions
  6. Please note that the years displayed will differ depending on what is available for you in each section.
  7. Click on “Higher Education/Student Aid” and it will suggest that you get a Tax Return Transcript
  8. Click on the tax year you want and a PDF will open in the same screen.
  9. Print document and submit to College.


  1. Log on to the IRS website:  Request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS online
  2. Under the “Tools” banner, select “Order a Return or Account Transcript
  3. Select “Order a Transcript” under step 3 (be sure to read the instructions for the first two steps!)
  4. You will receive a message from the IRS, please read through this and select “OK”
  5. Enter your personal information (It must be EXACTLY as it appears on your tax return), select “Continue
  6. Order a Return Transcript, for the tax year you need   (Note: it will be sent to the address on file with the IRS.)
  7. You can then select “Exit.” The IRS will send you your transcript in 5-10 days unless otherwise specified.


  1. Contact the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 (available only from 7:00am – 7:00pm EST)
  2. You will be prompted to enter your social security number and the numbers in your street address. (Note: the number will be the street address that was listed on your latest tax return. If you moved and a change of address was completed through the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address already on file.)
  3. Select “Option 2” for the Tax Return Transcript, and then enter the tax year you need the transcript for.
  4. If successfully validated, a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent to the address that was used in the telephone request within 5-10 days unless otherwise specified.

Mail (Paper Request) & Information for Non-Filers

You can use either the 4506T-EZ or 4506-T. The IRS recommends the 4506T-EZ for a Tax Return Transcript.

  1. Download the 4506T-EZ
  2. Complete lines 1-4 (instructions on page 2). Line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS.  It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. If you have already completed an address change with the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS may already have that address on file.
  3. Line 6 should be for 2011 for the 2012-2013 FAFSA, 2012 for the 2013-2014 FAFSA.
  4. Note: Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
  5. Mail or fax the completed 4506T-EZ to the appropriate processing center. Do NOT mail to Genesee Community College.
  6. You can expect to receive your tax transcript within 5-10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes your signed request. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will inform you if they are unable to provide you with a tax transcript.

Completing Form 4506-T for Non-Filers:

  1. Complete Form 4506-T
  2. Complete lines 1-4 of the 4506-T

    • Box 3: Enter your current address. If you use a P.O. Box, include this on this line
    • Box 4: Enter the address shown on the last return if different from the address entered in Box 3
    • Box 5: provides the non-filer with the option to have their IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. DO NOT have your IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter sent directly to Genesee Community College!
  3. Box 7: Check this box to request a Verification of Non-Filing status.
  4. Box 9: Year or period request field, enter the last day of the tax year in which you are requesting information (ex: “12/31/2015”).
  5. Sign and date
  6. Mail or fax the form to the appropriate IRS Processing Center. Do NOT mail 4506-T to Genesee Community College.

*All other states must refer to form 4506-T to where the form can be mailed or faxed.